Wolves 1 (Parry 2′) – 2 (Coady 31′ Pen, Dunn 70′) LFC

A goal from debutant Jack Dunn and a penalty from captain Conor Coady gave Alex Inglethorpe’ side their first win in 3 games and keeps them in the top 3 of the U21 Elite Group. Following their 3-3 draw with West Ham last Monday at the Academy, Alex Inglethorpe’s side were back in action against a Wolves side at Telford. The Reds were looking for their first win in 3 after two consecutive draws, but have beat their opponents twice in their 3 meetings this season. Due to the international break and injuries, Alex Inglethorpe made 6 changes from the 3-3 draw. Raheem Sterling, Jonjo Shelvey and Andre Wisdom have been called up to Stuart Pearce’s England U21s and Adorjan still has an ankle injury, so U18s Lloyd Jones, Jordon Ibe and Jack Dunn were called up. The last meeting between the sides was in January when Samid Yesil scored the winner in a 3-2 victory at Kirkby.

It was the worst possible start for Liverpool as Robbie Parry was given the ball on the edge of the penalty area on the right side of the pitch. The former Wrexham striker then took the ball inside on his right foot and away from defender Ryan McLaughlin, and he slotted it home past Peter Gulasci to give Wolves the early advantage. There were injury fears for Ryan McLaughlin on the 9th minute of the match after being involved in a heavy challenge with Robbie Parry. The fullback, who has just returned from injury, was clipped on the ankle by striker Parry, but was unharmed. Liverpool’s first chance of the match came 8 minutes later in the 17th minute after a good through ball found Jack Dunn, but the U18 winger couldn’t connect to the through ball as Wolves’ keeper Jonathon Flatt bravely retrieved the ball.

It was the visitors who were starting to dominate, and Alex Inglethorpe’s side were rewarded with a penalty on the half hour mark after Ryan McLaughlin was brought down by Whittall. The responsibilty fell to captain Conor Coady, who sent Flatt the wrong way and calmly slotted home to give  the Reds an equaliser in the 31st minute. The game was fairly even after Coady’s equaliser, but with 4 minutes to go until half time Nacho found Jack Dunn, who took it on his left foot but his strike was straight at Flatt, who parried away. Jack Dunn is one of a handful of players who doesn’t have a game where they don’t have a shot on target, and he continued that impressive trait.

Alex Inglethorpe’s side started the second half brightly and after a strong run down the right wing by Joao Carlos Teixeira, the ball came to Nacho, whose shot from 12 yards out clipped Adam Morgan and went narrowly wide of Jonathon Flatt’s post. Wolves first chance of the second half fell to Winnall, whose shot from the edge of the penalty area was guided around the post by Peter Gulasci. From the resulting corner, the ball was partially cleared by Jack Dunn, and found Robbie Parry, whose lofted through ball was eventually given offside, although it produced a good point blank save out of Gulasci.

Not many chances were created in the following 15 minutes, but on the 69th minute Jack Dunn came within inches of scoring, after Teixeira found Nacho, whose through ball found Dunn, who took a touch beforing shooting, but a brilliant save from Flatt denied the U18 player. It was Dunn that completed the turnaround for Liverpool a minute later, after Craig Roddan won the ball and found Nacho, and it was the Nacho and Dunn combination that this time proved successful as he slotted it past an advancing Flatt with the outside of his left boot. This was Dunn’s 7th goal this season with 6 of those coming in FA Youth Cup for the U18s. This was his 1st goal for the U21s on his first appearance for Alex Inglethorpe’s side.

Wolves looked for a late equaliser so brought on former Liverpool academy player David Moli, after a header from Winnall sailed wide, so an attacking threat was needed. However, this meant that Wolves’ defence were vulnerable in defence, and this showed as Adam Morgan played it to Jordon Ibe, whose low cross was just inches away from Jack Dunn at the far post. In the 91st minute, Teixeira was almost rewarded with a goal after his 20 yard strike produced a fantastic save out of Flatt, who tipped the effort over the bar.

The result remained 2-1, which meant that Liverpool recorded their first win in 3 matches and cement their place in the top 3 of the U21 Elite Group. Their next game will be against leaders Spurs at Anfield.

Scott Taylor

LFC XI: Gulasci, McLaughlin, Sama, Jones, Roddan, Coady, Dunn, Teixeira, Morgan, Nacho, Ibe.

Wolves XI: Flatt, Whittall, Tank, Ihiekwe, Cranston, Ismail, Price, Jakobsson, Parry, Winnall, McAlinden.

Be sure to follow me on twitter @scotttayloruk