After losing their last two games, Alex Inglethorpe’s Liverpool Under 18s were looking to bounce back with a win in their final game of the tournament against the Columbian national side. However, this was not the case as a Davison Sanchez goal in the 67th minute separated the two sides, meaning that the Reds finished the tournament in 5th place with only 1 win in 5 games, and Columbia qualify for the semi-finals after finishing top of Group B and finishing undefeated.


LFC U18s 0 – 1 (Sanchez 67’) Columbia

First Half

Liverpool again started sluggish and allowed Columbia to create the first chance of the match in the second minute. Carlos Ibarguen picked up the ball on the right wing and his cross found Dario Rodriguez, but the latter’s shot was well held by Liverpool goalkeeper Ryan Crump.

Liverpool almost got a goal of their own four minutes later when Daniel Trickett-Smith’s pass found Connor Randall but before the Under 21 right back could get his shot off, Columbian goalkeeper Yasser Chavez came an retrieved.

From that moment on, Liverpool were unable to create opportunities and had to defend for the rest of the first half. Fortunately for the Reds, long range strikes from Deinner Quinones, goalscorer Davison Sanchez and Ibarguen in the space of 5 minutes did not test Crump as Liverpool started to weather the Columbian storm.

On the stroke of half time, Ibarguen again tried his luck from long range, but it resulted it the same outcome as Crump saved well to end a very one sided first half in Mexico.

Second Half

The structure of the game was the same in the second half, as Crump had to be at his best to keep Columbia from getting an opener. In the 47th minute, Deinner Quinones’ brother Robin skipped past the Liverpool defence on the right flank before delivering a cross for Sergio Villareal, but the forward couldn’t properly connect as he could only watch his shot go wide of Crump’s goal.

Crump again made a couple of heroic saves in a short space of time as he firstly denied Juan Quintero before saving an effort from Gustavo Torres as the home side were wondering if they were ever going to get the opener.

The best chance of the second half for Liverpool was on the hour mark, when Harry Wilson’s long range free-kick went just wide of Chavez’s left hand post. But just as Columbia were wondering if they were going to grab a winner captain Davison Sanchez rose highest to a Yairo Moreno cross to finally beat Crump as Liverpool lost their third game in a row without registering a single goal.

The result means that Columbia qualify for the semi final after finishing with 11 points to top Group B. It was a completely different story for Liverpool as they finished second from bottom having only picked up 4 points in 5 games.

Thanks for reading this match report and the series as a whole. If you have any questions, be sure to tweet and follow me @ScottTaylorUK and I’ll respond if I can answer your question. In the meantime for more Academy related content, then keep an eye out on the blog