By Scott Taylor

Jordan Rossiter netted the winner as Liverpool beat Tottenham at Langtree Park on Friday night. Rossiter, 17, was named on the substitute’s bench in Liverpool’s 2-1 win over Swansea in the Capital One last week. The midfielder scored early in the second half as Liverpool recovered from three straight defeats.

Michael Beale arguably had his best side available to him this season, so a win was expected. First team squad players Jordan Rossiter and Jordan Williams were back in the squad after making their debuts in the Capital One Cup last month. Danny Ward was also back in the starting line-up and his Welsh compatriot Harry Wilson was back amongst the team. Following a successful loan spell with Swindon, Brad Smith was straight back into Beale’s XI. There was also a rare start for Jerome Sinclair, who impressed in the Under 18s.

He almost made an immediate impact with the Under 21s, but his first minute strike smashed off the Tom Glover’s post and eventually cleared by the Tottenham defence. Wilson had an opportunity moments later but his couldn’t get enough on his shot as he missed the target.

Fellow winger Ryan Kent has been superb for the Under 21s in recent games, and also made the breakthrough but his long-range drive was tipped over the bar by Glover. In the 24th minute, Kent had a second attempt at beating Glover but this time the latter wasn’t needed to be called into action as he safely watched the ball fly wide of his goal.

The England Under 18 winger finally got his reward as he scored a 20 yard free-kick to finally beat Glover and give the young Reds the lead in the 27th minute.  Jordan Rossiter went close shortly after but his long range effort was drilled straight into the gloves of Glover.

Despite the early dominance from Liverpool, the visitors were still a threat going forward. Will Miller had an effort go just over Ward’s crossbar before the forward sliced another shot that went wide.

Ward was called into action during the latter stages of the first half, and superbly denied Tottenham’s Daniel Akindayini from very close range.

The North London side finally beat Ward just before half-time as Emmanuel Sonupe’s cross fell to Miller at the second attempt, and the Spurs forward had no issue beating Ward this time as they half ended all square.

Unlike their first team last week, Tottenham started the second half brightly. Akindayini found himself in a one-on-one situation with Ward, and the forward took it past Ward and had an open goal to aim at. Somehow, heroic defending from Dan Cleary meant that the young Irishman got just enough on the ball to hit it onto the post and away from the danger area.

This miss proved costly as Liverpool regained the lead in the 52nd minute. Kent, who scored the opener in the first half, turned provider as his through ball found Rossiter and the young Scouser converted his chance to give the Reds the lead again.

Substitute Daniel Trickett-Smith almost made in 3-1 with a diving header that went so close to Glover’s far post, but Beale’s Reds held on for a first win in four games.

LFC XI: Ward, Stewart, Maguire (Pelosi 61), Cleary (Brannagan 77), Jones, Rossiter, Wilson (Trickett-Smith 61), Williams, Sinclair, Kent, Smith.

Follow Scott on Twitter here: @ScottTaylorUK.