By Scott Taylor

Harry Wilson scored his 17th goal of the season as Liverpool U23s made it eight games unbeaten with a 4-1 victory over Barnet on Tuesday afternoon.Brooks Lennon also grabbed a brace whilst Jack Dunn continued his fine form with a fourth goal in two games.

The good news for Liverpool continued as Connor Randall made his comeback from injury by playing 82 minutes in the clash at the Academy.

The Reds’ Head Coach Mike Garrity made five changes from the 6-0 victory against Bangor City with Kamil Grabara replacing Caoimhin Kelleher in goal.

Other changes saw Randall and Tom Brewitt replace Joe Maguire and trialist Cian Harries whilst Lennon and Madger Gomes came in for Toni Gomes and Sheyi Ojo.


The Reds started the game the better side against their League Two opposition, with Madger Gomes looking dangerous on the left wing, but no clear-cut chances were made.

In the 28th minute, the hosts went inches away from taking the lead but Brooks Lennon guided his effort onto the post, but the American got his reward three minutes later.

The forward was played in by a brilliant pass from Matthew Virtue and Lennon finished with confidence on his return to the side.

The Liverpool frontman almost turned provider for the in-form Wilson fired just effort just over.

Despite looking in control, Barnet equalised against the run of play as another defensive mistake from Liverpool allowed the visitors to capitalise.

However, it did not take long for the Reds to respond as Randall burst down the right flank, cut it back to Wilson and the Welshman continued to push for a first-team call-up with another goal.


Liverpool started the second half just as they did in the first, with Gomes again looking lively as the Spaniard had a shot palmed away before his cross found Corey Whelan, but the defender fired wide.

Jack Dunn on loan at Morecambe earlier this season. [Source: @jackdunny8 – Instagram]
Garrity then made two changes in quick succession, with Kelleher replacing Grabara in goal whilst Jake Brimmer came on for Paolo Alves in midfield.

Gomes continued to make an impact on the game and in the 65th minute his low cross was turned in by Lennon as the Reds raced into a 3-1 lead.

Just days after Dunn’s hat-trick, Lennon could have had one of his own, but his shot hit the side netting and Virtue’s inital effort was parried.

Dunn then entered the fray with 20 minutes remaining, coming on for Nathan Phillips as Whelan shifted to centre-back, Randall moved across to right-back, with Gomes at left-back.

Dunn was again strong off the bench as the striker rattled the crossbar after being supplied by Brimmer but the former Morecambe loanee got a deserved goal in the closing stages.

Wilson won the ball on the halfway line and set up the striker for his fourth goal in just two games since returning from his loan spell in League Two as the Reds rounded off a fine victory.

Liverpool return to Premier League 2 action on Monday evening when they host arch-rivals Manchester United, just 24 hours after the first-team travel to Old Trafford.

Liverpool U23s: Grabara (Kelleher, 60); Whelan, , N Phillips (Dunn, 70), Brewitt, Randall (K Lewis, 82); Williams, Virtue, Alves (Brimmer 57); Wilson, Lennon, M Gomes.